29.8.07

The One With the Merdeka Celebration

The roads are lined with flags for the Merdeka Day celebration. I'm very enthusiastic about this year's celebration, why I don't know. The only time I went out for a countdown was in 2001 while I was in my first year. I went out with Shikin to Dataran Merdeka, walked like 10 minutes then decided there was too many people and left and watched the fireworks from her house.
Plus my feet couldn't take it. I wore my new black Esprit mary janes and I had blisters. I love my shoes. The only reason I asked Shikin out I think was because I was disappointed. See I was sort of in a semi relationship with someone from USM at that time and he was supposed to come visit me during the holidays. Its Shamil btw, and he didn't come.
So this year, it being the 50th and all, I wanted to go see the whole countdown thing, the parade in the morning and then the proclamation at Stadium Merdeka. Then I read somewhere that to get good seats for the parade, people start coming at 4:00 bloody a.m! Boleh?
And talking about 4 a.m, and no I didn't go to Gwen's concert, I went to Syed Mamak at 4 a.m on Monday, alone, to get some work done and I'm so proud of myself because I get to see the early birds. Y'know, the school bus drivers, the old happy couple, minah-minah kilang baru balik kerja.
And I can't help but wonder, will I still be around when Malaysia celebrate her 100th Merdeka Celebration?
Ala-ala Sex and the City tak? Just finished all 6 seasons yesterday. And now I have so much time on my hands that I can blog, hehe.
Tomorrow I'm going to Sungai Petani, so I'll just have to celebrate in Penang. I wonder how the celebration mood is over there..
So Malaysia (the country, not the person) I love you and happy 50th Merdeka!

No comments: